Today I made this delicious soup. Got sick of watching TV and lying around being weak and feeling miserably bored!
ꉻ ꉻ ꉻ
1 large unripe fibrous mango
2 tablespoons of dried sour tamarind
1 inch stick of Indian cinnamon
5 whole peppercorns
2 small red Thai chillies (optional)
2 teaspoons palm sugar
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ litres water
ꉻ ꉻ ꉻ
ꉻ ꉻ ꉻ
1. Pour the water into a large saucepan and on a medium heat bring to boil
2. Add the cinnamon, peppercorns, chillies palm sugar and salt
3. Peel the mango, wash it and add to the saucepan whole
4. Once the water starts to boil, turn heat down to low and cover and let simmer for 15 minutes
5. Add hot water from the saucepan into a bowl with the tamarind. Stir and squeeze out the juice from the tamarind and add this to the saucepan. Throw away the tamarind pulp/stones.
6. Take out the whole mango and squeeze the pulp through a sieve into a bowl. Then add back into the saucepan stir and add salt to taste.
You should play around with the amount of sugar, salt and tamarind until you have the tangy sweet salty mix that you like. I prefer slightly more tangy than sweet but this is a personal preference.
Serve in a bowl as a hot soup or let cool as a cold soup. Delicious in both ways.
I got the idea for this recipe from one of my favourite food blogs “lovefoodeat.com” by Chinmayie.
Thank you for your wonderful recipes!!