Here’s the recipe for the fried Chinese cabbage side dish that accompanied the bird curry I posted yesterday!!
ꉻ ꉻ ꉻ
Fried Chinese Cabbage
1 medium sized chinese cabbage chopped into small strips
1 small onion chopped fine
3 cloves of garlic flattened with a hammer errr I mean flat of the knife
1 teaspoon of squashed turmeric root (use your nose for the best results…) or ⅓ level teaspoon powder
1 teaspoon squashed finger root or ½ inch piece of fresh ginger
½ bunch of saw leaf herb cut into ½ inch pieces
1 small red Thai chilli to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a wok on medium heat and throw in the garlic, finger root and turmeric (if using fresh), stir for 2-3 minutes then add the onions, salt (and turmeric if using powder).
2. Let the onions fry for 3-5 minutes. You could fry them longer and let them caramelise but that’s up to you. The dish does taste richer like this but usually I also can’t be bothered to wait. Add the cabbage and stir fry.
3. Fry for approximately 2-3 minutes then put a lid on the wok and turn the heat down to low.
4. Let simmer gently for 3-5 minutes with lid on, then turn off the heat and sprinkle on the saw leaf herb and chilli to garnish. At this stage try the cabbage. If you want it more crunchy, then heat it less or you could even skip the simmer with lid stage and simply take off the heat after stir frying.
5. Enjoy with steamed rice and any Bengali meat curry or fried fish dish as an entrée or side dish.